- Points Rummy
- Understanding Points Rummy
- How to Play Points Rummy
- How To Win The Points Rummy Game
- How are winnings calculated in Points Rummy?
- The Objective of Points Rummy
- Basic Rules of Points Rummy
- Calculating points in Points Rummy
- Dropping from a game of Points Rummy
- Play Points Rummy and Win Paytm Cash
- How To Play Points Rummy On First Games By Paytm
The reason why people never tire of rummy is that there are so many versions of this card game. Played one version for ages and want to try something new? Switch
to another rummy variant.
13 cards rummy is undoubtedly one of India’s most popular card games. It is thrilling, not too challenging, and each round doesn’t take much time to be completed. So, you can play a rummy game anytime when you have a few spare minutes at hand.
Points Rummy falls in the 13 cards rummy category. It is growing in popularity every day because online rummy or games apps offer a multiplayer rummy experience where you can join your friends or other seasoned players online for a game of Points Rummy. Want to give Points Rummy a try? Here’s what you need to know.
Understanding Points Rummy
Points Rummy is played with decks of 52 cards. Each card has a value assigned to it in points. This is called the rank of the card. In Points Rummy, the cards are ranked thus - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Then, there are the Ace, Jack, Queen, and King; each is allotted 10 points. The point will have a pre-determined monetary value.
The cards need to be arranged into valid sets and sequences. The person who makes a valid declaration in Points Rummy the fastest is the winner. The winner receives cash equal to the sum of the points of the unmatched cards of losing players multiplied by the point value.
How to Play Points Rummy
The Points Rummy can be played among 2 to 6 players. The following are the steps to understand how the game is played on the First Games by Paytm:
- The game is played for points and their rupee value is decided in advance.
- All the players bring in a specific amount to the table and 13 cards each are dealt randomly.
- After distribution, the first card from the pack is placed over the open deck to indicate the commencement of the game.
- The objective of the game is to arrange their respective 13 cards to form a valid declaration which has at least two sequences (one being a pure sequence) and sets. Kindly note that it is not mandatory to create sets.
- The game proceeds with each player picking and discarding cards from the closed or open deck as per their requirements to complete the sequences and sets.
- You can use a printed joker or wild card joker while creating your valid declaration but make sure that it has a pure sequence too.
- Once you are done with forming your combinations, you can move a card to the finish slot to make your declaration and tap on the 'declare'.
- Always remember that your declaration must possess at least two sequences, out of which one must be a pure sequence. Also, while creating sets you should not use the same card twice. For example - 5♠5♠5♥, this is not a valid set.
How To Win The Points Rummy Game
The points rummy game can only be won by making a valid declaration and being the first one to inform about it. The following are the essentials that make a declaration valid:
- Your declaration must have at least two sequences, out of which one must be a pure sequence. It is not possible to make a valid declaration without a pure sequence. The other sequences can be pure or impure, depending upon the availability of cards.
- You can use printed jokers or wild card jokers to form impure sequences and sets.
- Apart from two sequences, you can also make sets while combining cards to make a valid declaration.
- Make sure that you are the first one to make the declaration if you wish to be the winner.
How are winnings calculated in Points Rummy?
In Points Rummy, before the game starts, a value is assigned to the point. Suppose it is INR4. If you are able to group all of your cards into valid sets and sequences before anyone else does, then you win and your points tally becomes zero. Now, the value of the unmatched cards (cards that are not yet arranged into sets or sequences) of each of the other players will be added up. For example, the value of the 5 players’ unmatched cards is 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. Then, the amount you will win in this game of Points Rummy= 4 x (10+20+30+40+50). So, you will win INR 600.
The Objective of Points Rummy
The goal of Points Rummy is to arrange all the 13 cards that are dealt with each player into valid sets and sequences. A sequence is 3 or more cards of consecutive
rank from the same suit. Sets are formed when you arrange 3 or more cards of the same rank from different suits.
To win a round of Points Rummy, you need at least 2 sequences. One of them has to be a pure sequence (without joker).
Basic Rules of Points Rummy
There will be a minimum of 2 to a maximum of 6 players at the multiplayer rummy table. 13 cards rummy and hence Points Rummy is played with 2 decks. Once all the players are given their cards, the rest will be set facing down. This forms the closed deck. The upper-most card is lifted and set down facing up and forming the open stack or discard pile of Points Rummy. The face-up card is designated to be the cut joker, and if you have a similarly ranked card of any suit in your hand, that too will be a cut joker.
You can use either the printed jokers (carrying the image of the joker) or the cut jokers to take the place of any missing card while forming sets and sequences in Points Rummy.
All the cards have a rank as we explained earlier. The joker has zero points.
Turns will go around the table. You will have to draw a card and discard one. Once someone has made a valid declaration, the Points Rummy game will end.
The following are the rules to play Points Rummy:
- The game is played between 2 to 6 players and features two decks of 52 cards each.
- The player is required to arrange the 13 cards dealt into combinations of valid sets and sequences. A valid declaration must have at least two sequences, out of which one must be a pure sequence.
- Printed jokers and wild card jokers can be used to create impure sequences and sets.
- The cards in rummy carry certain points. A, K, Q, and J carries 10 points each, whereas other cards fetch the value written on them respectively. For instance, a 5♦ carries 5 points.
- A declaration must possess a pure sequence. A sequence is the combination of 3 or more cards of the same suit in consecutive order. For example - 5♥️6♥️7♥️ is a pure sequence.
- An impure sequence comprises joker cards. 10♥️J♥️Q♥️PJ - Here, PJ is a printed joker which is used to replace the missing King of the Hearts.
- A set comprises three or four cards, having the same value but belonging to different suits. 2♥️2♠️2♣️2♦️ is an example of a set. Joker cards can also be used to form sets, such as 7♠️7♥️7♦️PJ - Here PJ is a printed joker which is used to replace the missing 7♣️.
- Whoever is the first one to make a valid declaration wins the Points Rummy game.
Calculating points in Points Rummy
The person with the valid declaration in a game of Points Rummy wins and has zero points. The points of the unmatched cards of the losing players will be added up. The following are the important things to remember regarding the calculation of points in the Points Rummy Game:
- The first player to announce the valid declaration is the winner of the game. The winner in Points Rummy gets 0 points.
- If a challenger or more drops the game in their first move, they are charged with 20 points each. However, the game continues until there is a single winner.
- If more challengers drop after completing their first move, they are charged with 40 points each and the game continues.
- If a player makes a wrong declaration, they are charged with 80 points and the game continues until there is a winner.
How Losing Points Are Calculated
While playing the Points Rummy game, all the cards possess a certain number of points. The player who loses gets points according to the cards in hand. The score is computed as follows:
- J, Q, K, and A of any suit possess 10 points each.
- The numbered cards have the same points determined on their face like 4 carries 4 points and 8 carries 8 points.
- A printed or wild card joker card has zero points.
- In this manner, the hand of the losing player is computed, that is by summing points for cards that are not grouped as sets or sequences as per the exception. In case, if the losing player fails to make a pure sequence, all cards are counted.
- A player can be charged with a maximum of 80 points.
How Winning Amount Is Calculated in Points Rummy
The winning amount is calculated in the following manner in the Points Rummy Game:
Winning Amount = (Sum of points of all opponents) x (Rupee-value of the point) - Rake or Platform Fees
For example, a Point Rummy game is played between 5 challengers and the rupee value of the point is 2. The fifth player made a valid declaration, whereas, the other four challengers lost the game with 10, 20, 30 and 40 points respectively. Here, the winning amount will be calculated as 2 x (10 + 20 + 30 + 40). That is INR 200. The rake will be deducted and the remaining amount will be credited to the winner's account.
Dropping from a game of Points Rummy
Players are allowed to drop from Points Rummy. At the early stages, a drop will add 20 points to your tally. A middle drop is worth 40 points. You can re-enter the game but your penalty points will be added to the score you had when you left the game.
Play Points Rummy and Win Paytm Cash
A trustworthy app where you can play multiplayer rummy is Paytm First Games (PFG). This app offers complete security of transactions and instant withdrawal of your cash rewards. Moreover, you stand to win INR 50 lakh playing multiplayer rummy on PFG. You will also get a joining bonus and extra rewards for referring this app to your friends. You will win Paytm cash which will instantly be transferred to your Paytm wallet or bank account.
So, download PFG and start playing Points Rummy. It is exciting, rewarding and you will get to play against and learn from the best Points Rummy players in the country.
How To Play Points Rummy On First Games By Paytm
The following are the steps to play Points Rummy on the First Games App:
- Open the First Games app on your smartphone and opt to play rummy.
- You get a variety of rummy games here, proceed further by choosing the Points Rummy game and selecting the price according to your preference.
- As the game is played between 2 to 6 players, wait for a few seconds to let the others join in.
- All the participants are dealt with 13 cards and the game proceeds with picking and discarding of cards with the objective of forming a valid declaration.
- You need to arrange your 13 cards as a valid declaration that comprises at least two sequences, out of which one shall be a pure sequence. The remaining cards can be arranged into pure or impure sequences or sets. The player can also use a printed joker or wild card joker to create impure sequences or sets.
- The participant who makes the valid declaration first wins the points rummy game.